Readers!

Please enjoy these blogposts, written between 2011 and 2015. Another blog is on the way.

Friday, July 27, 2012

I'll Only Be Writing

A pin oak.  They're lovely trees.

I’d rather be writing. . . I’d rather be teaching . . . As it turns out, I’ll only be writing.  On June 6, minutes after my last class ended, with only grading left to do, I dropped in on the dean and resigned, packed up my office, and drove away. (If you’re an adjunct, you’ll know I didn’t have much to pack. I desk-surfed this year and learned fast not to accumulate.) I’m sitting in my office at home in Bellingham now, looking out at the pin oaks planted in the green strip that divides Broadway, and feeling a little shell-shocked.

I don’t regret my most recent experiences in the classroom. In four quarters, I learned, again, from 200 students that what matters in life doesn’t have much to do with how to list dates in MLA format. 

Here is a sampling of remarks I heard from fellow English Dept. faculty this year:

I don’t want to know anything about my students.

What do you mean they should read good books?  Do you mean classics?

We should probably assign at least one book per quarter.

This may look like a five-paragraph essay, but it’s not.  I tell them not to write five-paragraph essays.

I don’t even want to be in the same room as that guy (a vet).  He’s the most judgmental person I’ve ever known.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up with a gun and shot me. 

Well, in my 101, that paper would get a D.

My husband, who will have to work more hours to pay for private health insurance again, has been, as usual, very kind.  I know most adjuncts can’t afford to quit.  I know.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if the cynicism you saw in adjuncts is the result of working conditions (they are underpaid and overworked for no benefits), their desire to teach beyond the community college level and hence a sense of wish-I-were-there, or because they never intended to teach at all but simply got stuck with the teaching gig? Or any combination.

    What has stuck with me through 30+ years of teaching high school is that I chose to teach and I am good at it. You too, I think.

    They lost a great teacher, but I envy you the writing time. Write well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes. They mean a lot coming from you.

    Alas, the comments above all came from full-time, tenured faculty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, indeed.

    The crack about the veteran is particularly ironic.

    A friend who teaches (tenure track) at a major university has been told several times to spend less time with students, that it's a waste of time to devote energy towards all students, and to focus only on the likely comers. Like me, my friend has found that it's a fool's game assuming we can recognize who the comers are, and further, that it's arrogant and immoral to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said that very well. It IS arrogant and immoral to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo Ann, you will be missed by your former students. I am saddened that future students will never have gotten to know you and learn from you. I hope that whatever you do with your future is happy and fulfilling for you. I am most heavy hearted that I will not be seeing your smiling face; even just in passing as I walk from here to there around campus. I looked for your name in the fall schedule and didn't see it and thought, crap...how stupid are we for letting her leave. Hopefully I'll see you again someday - who knows.......SS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SS--Thanks for this wonderful message. I know we'll see each other again. Take good care of your superior mind. It's one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo Ann! I just spent some time getting caught up on your blog. It made me miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss you, too. Are you in Texas now?

    ReplyDelete